Thursday, October 27, 2011

Reality

On my 2nd run, of the day, today I was brought back to reality.

This week, and for the last little bit I was thinking I am a good runner. I am good at weight lifting.  I am a great athlete. I've been a competitor for a long time, and done quite a variety of sports. This mornings run was freezing cold, but I felt great. No watch, no GPS just me and my Vibrams (and clothes of coarse) out for a run. It was awesome. After class today I decided to go for another, I didn't get quite enough in this morning. I was craving a little more. 
So, after getting home I got ready for my run. While I was getting ready I was thinking about things I wish I had done in my life up to this point. One of my thoughts was that I wish I would have run Cross Country in College.  You know, I was feeling I was good enough to actually do it. My last couple of half marathons I had either gotten 2nd or 1st place, so yeah that means I am good right? 
Well, while on this run, it was short, but my knees hurt a little so I switched up my running style and felt better. As I was on the last mile and a half stretch back home I was feeling real good. I hit a light about a mile from home and behind me comes two U of U cross country runners (you could just tell). When the light turns green we go, and they just bound ahead. Yeah I expect them to be fast, but it made me realize how slow I am. 
I did catch up to them at the next light, which made me feel awkward. Here they were in a t-shirt and short shorts, and there I was in a black long sleeve shirt with gloves, and running tights I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb! 
Oh wow, my dreams were crushed in those few minutes between lights (just with in a mile). 
I realized that I am just an average person. Just someone who is obsessed with running. Being obsessed don't mean you are good, it just means you really like it. I thought that because I work at Salt Lake Running Co it actually made me a good runner, but unfortunately it doesn't. It just means that I live running. 
Just because I am a pacer for the Halloween Half this weekend doesn't mean I am a good runner, it just means I got lucky to know the person who was in charge.

Reality is that I am just average. I am not a fast runner, I can just go long distances. I am never going to be a College athlete. I will always just be someone that likes to work out and who will always be asked the question "Are you a runner?" Instead of them recognizing that I am a runner by looking at me, and the fact that I do work at Salt Lake Running Co. 
I will always wish that I could be good, or awesome at something., but until I one day actually achieve that I will be out on the road chasing it down. 

3 comments:

  1. You are a runner. You are a great runner. Just 'cause some other runners might have gotten under your running rights doesn't mean you are not amazing at what you do. Maybe they can't swim but wish they could tri. You are a fantastic person with positivity & spirit, perseverance & talent. :) And you are more amazing than you realize. :) Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented yesterday, for some reason it didn't show. Anyways, what I was saying. You are a great runner! And it is human flaw to always want to be better than we are. No matter how good you are or how good you will get, you will always find someone better than you and it will bring you down. Sadly, I have come to the realization too with swimming. Just don't let it effect you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fist off you are awesome, second don't compare yourself to someone else, It gets you no where. There is no point it looking back on things we wish we would of done, we can't change that. Maybe they were thinking "man I wish I could wear a long sleeve shirt" But can't. God blessed you with the ability to run, to move, and to do so many things. You are a runner, and you always will be. Just because you are not part of a team doesn't mean anything other than you don't get a shirt that says so. If you want to see someone that can't run then you can come and watch me.. What you consider your weakness others think of as your strength. You are amazing, and I am super jealous that you can just go out and run.. I am to scared of Dogs..

    ReplyDelete