Friday, November 26, 2010

Daddy's Lil' Girl

Today I was reading my awesome sister-in-law Jessica's blog, which it's a very funny blog to read, and I always look forward to her posts. The update for today was about her Turkey Day 5k, which her daughter Cindy also ran (one lap I believe). In her post she Thanked her dad for his support, and this got me thinking about my dad and all the support he has given me in all my races. 


This post is for him. 


This all started a long time ago with my dad's marathons and bike races and all of his events. I was the little tag along with my parents. Then eventually my dad started signing me up for the 5ks to run with him. Although I was not the greatest runner by any means, but he got me started young and that is what I attribute my success to. We ran a bunch of Holiday 5ks out in Holladay (where we used to live). He would run with me until close to the end then would tell me I need to beat 6 people (meaning pass 6 of the people currently ahead of me) and he will take me out to breakfast. Man, I had to do it, and every race I tried, one I even threw up at the end. But I think I only passed all the people once, so when we got home I would make him breakfast since I didn't make it.

To me I didn't fail. If anything I got stronger and had a better time with my dad because he would encourage me and give me all sorts of advice. Making breakfast for my dad made my morning. That was my favorite thing to make and it was always just fun being with my dad. 



Spudman 2009
I got thinking about my races that I did in high school (running, swimming and water polo) he came to all of the games that I asked him to come to. If I told him it was an important one he was there. Besides all of the high school sports, I also started triathlons when I was 15, my brother introduced me and got me hooked. Out of all of the triathlons and running races I've ever done, as far as my counting I can count 10 races that my dad wasn't there. Out of those 6 of those were this year and he now lives in a different state. The other 4 include my first Marathon (Ogden) but he was right there after the race to listen to me tell him every detail of the race, I even got the same time as his first marathon (cool huh?). My very first triathlon he was not there but he paid my way and my brother was there helping me even when I crashed. The second tri I missed my mom was there in Idaho with me and I competed along with my brother again, and the last one was in Ogden too he and my mom were in Europe riding bikes (pretty good excuse huh :). Even when I went to Texas he was there, cheering me on, even when I had a brain freeze and took 5 minutes to put on my gloves. My dad has always been a great support to me and my endeavors. 


My dad did his first Triathlon with me just days before I got married. I signed him up for the Spudman and he did it with me, it meant SO much to me to do such a great event with my dad, it was like a last ho-rah before getting married. 


I've always had such great support from my family when it comes to my athletics. All my siblings each got different talents they are amazing at, and I get to share a talent with my dad and brother in athletics. I have been taught so much from both. I always enjoyed the times I got to go shooting with the boys for Thanksgiving, or going on bike rides with my parents. Or even hiking up Mt. Olympus with my family when I was 7, which I promptly fell down and hurt my hand (ha ha still have the scar) but after the fall I got taken care of. I have so many memories of great adventures with my dad and brother. We liked to go hiking and camping together. 


I love my family. I miss them dearly. 


I want to thank my daddy for always being such a wonderful support to me, and always being at my races, whether physically or just in your support. I wish I was in NC with you and Jake this weekend to build a bike, and to go for bike rides in non freezing weather. Missing my family. I love you guys!!

Thanks Dad for your support and love. 



Love, 


Sweet Pea <3

No comments:

Post a Comment