Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Better Days...

We've all had better days, so have my running shoes

In may of this year I started reading Born to Run and was inspired to look into barefoot running. I saw a study on the discovery channel and it inspired me to do more research. So I made the switch to barefoot running. My shoes went from expensive supported foot weakening shoes to Vibram's Five Finger Shoes, though the switch wasn't easy, it has been the best thing I've done for my hips and knees. 


I've always suffered with hip pain and started developing knee pain, but since I changed to barefoot running my pain has decreased, and the only pain I had was in my calves because they were strengthening. I have loved every minute of these shoes. 


On Saturday Amber and I headed out for a trot, and when I was putting my shoes on I noticed a hole developing in my left shoe, but I put them on and put in more miles. As of this morning there is an official hole, I can see my foot through it. 

I just love these shoes, and I want them to last as long as they can. I figured out tonight how many miles I have put in these shoes and I calculated that in seven months I have put in around 1,200 miles and as of last month in this time that I have enjoyed the Vibrams I have started feeling healthier and lost a little weight, it's been a great seven months. I have never calculated the mileage I've put on my other running shoes, but typically they've only lasted about 4-6 months. I am impressed at how well these shoes have worked for me. But they aren't done yet. I have a half marathon this Saturday, and 5k next weekend and another half marathon Halloween weekend so they still have many many more miles. 


I have accomplished a lot these last seven months and I am excited to see how much more I can accomplish. 

What have you accomplished these last seven months? I'd love to hear!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment