Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sugar High

So, yesterday while I was doing some of my school work, for once, I was watching a video called "Killer at Large". It is about Obesity in America and why it's so bad, and showed a couple of young kids (talking about 12 years old) that were over 300 lbs. and got lipo as well as tummy tucks and suck, but later gained the weight back, and why we have such a problem with that. One thing they said that struck me was:


 "Sugar has the same effect on the brain as illicit drugs" 


WHAT!!!!! 


Um... Scary! 


I talked to Nathan about this fact when I got home from work (because pretty sure I am a sugar freak). Well he simply reminded me that it's just the addiction of sugar that provides that high. For example I knew this guy a long time ago that would eat tubs of frosting with a spoon ALL the time! Yeah that is call sugar addiction. Well, I am addicted to running, it's how I get through my emotions, sort out my problems, it's so I can think clearly and be a little more rational the rest of the day. 


One problem... I can't run for a couple more weeks. So what have I been doing?? Turning to sugar and ice cream. Ah! No! I can't.  


So here is what I am thinking. I need to consume more calories or just better foods (fruits and veggies) through out the day so my body will receive enough energy so that I won't crave sugar so much. I have got to get this thing kicked in the butt.


My goal to all of you is that I will focus on eating better through out the day, if I am board and want to snack I will have popcorn or fruits and veggies snacky foods with out a lot of sugar or calories but just enough nutrients for my body to feel satisfied later. Also, last night I made some yummy granola bars so instead of going for the cookies or ice cream I will go for the granola bars instead, so that I am getting the sweet as well as healthier food, and I will eat less of it. 


I love making goals and projects for myself, but sometimes it's just SO hard to do by myself, if you'd like to do it with me or just check up on me that would be AWESOME! 


Also... just so you know my hair is still growing out. I haven't thought about cutting it lately, which is good. I have been putting it up in a pony tail everyday by about 1 or 2, but when my hair gets loner it won't be so annoying in this awkward stage. I will post pictures later. And I have not straightened my hair since my birthday. I will straighten it in a couple of weeks when Nathans out of town :) he doesn't like it straight. 


Starting TODAY I will focus on better foods, but if I need a little something in the evening I will have a healthy choice. I will kick my habits and through blogging and journal writing I will focus on sorting through my thoughts and get my emotional ups and downs flattened out :) 


Thanks guys for your support :) 

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to this. I LOVE sugar and treats and all of those delicious things that are horrible for me. I also try to beat my cravings by popping fresh popcorn or snacking on veggies such as carrots, my favorite :) I can usually avoid most things by just not buying them, but my biggest weakness is popsicles! Oh well... Good luck! This was great encouragement for me. I look up to you!

    ReplyDelete